Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What does "missionary" mean... to you?

Way back when I was much, much younger than I am now, I had the opportunity to spend some time at Wanaskewin Heritage Park in Saskatchewan.  Back in the day (and maybe still to this day) the tour started with a lighted, narrated diorama that guided the viewer through the history of the site as well as the history of the Cree Nation of the area.  I had the pleasure, nay, the joy of seeing this demonstration, not once, but twice!  Yes, twice!  While many took that time in the dark theatre to catch up on much needed rest, I watched in anticipation wondering what waxy sculpture would be shone upon next.

Over the years, much of the content of the presentation has been lost amidst many other useless facts in the back of my mind, but there are a few words that come back to haunt me over and over... and over and over...  (whispered in a creepy voice) "What does Wanaskewin mean (insert pause here for effect) to you?"  (Google that if you're really curious.)

Now I imagine that you've become curious and are wondering about the reasoning behind my little bit of culture.

I was recently reminded of that haunting little phrase and found the way of questioning relevant.  Not that Plenty of Fish and Wanaskewin have anything to do with each other even in the smallest sense, but it's all in the title.

I wonder what "missionary" means to most people.  In the traditional sense, I see missionary and think prim and proper and often frumpy (when it comes to women).  So, this afternoon I was yet again surprised (though by now I don't believe I ought to be) when pro_man decided to send me an instant message.  After an initial greeting, out of the blue, he says, "I'm a virgin."  Good for you.  "looking to loose it."  Wow.  Thanks for sharing.  My response, "Good luck with that.  I can't help you."  His response, "thanks anyways" (?!?).  Thanks for what?  For refusing to drop my pants at a "pick-up line" (if you can even call it that) that the guy doesn't even have the decency to disguise behind something witty or sexy.

And... wait for it... my now official PoF mantra:  Dirty, Filthy Pervert!

No comments:

Post a Comment