Sunday, December 4, 2011

Shahid Kapoor Changed My Life

Ask anyone who's been anywhere near me since September of this year and they'll most likely tell you that there's something different about me. I blame Shahid Kapoor. This is Shahid:
One day on my fall break from school I decided to watch a movie. I began perusing Netflix and somehow ended up in the Bollywood section (don't even ask, I haven't figured it out myself). That was the day my life changed. By chance, I chose a movie starring none other than Mr. Shahid Kapoor (voted Asia's #2 sexiest man second to Hrithik Roshan). I loved the movie and was later disappointed to find out it hadn't done well in the theatres (it was a timing thing). Chance Pe Dance is what got the Bollywood ball rolling down a steep, slippery slope. When things go down, they tend to gain speed. Now, some three months later, I've nearly exhausted Netflix of all the Hindi-language films, picked over the Bollywood DVD selection at certain Wal-Marts and even convinced both my mom and my best friend to see Shahid's latest flick (Mausam) in the theatre (on separate days - I didn't mind seeing it twice). I find myself looking for sub-titles even when I'm watching English movies and I often forget that I can't actually speak Hindi nor am I brown.

What does this have to do with being a virgin? Nothing. But it has everything to do with men. Sort of. Here's the thing: I think North American men have forgotten how to be real men - just like North American women have forgotten how to be real women. Men here have to be all strong and tough. It's not okay to show emotion. Real men don't cry. I don't think I've seen a Bollywood film in which the hero didn't cry. But these are still manly men. Hollywood has nothing to offer compared to the likes of Shahid Kapoor, Hrithik Roshan, John Abraham and so many others.

I watch these movies wondering why men can't be like that in real life (yes, yes, I know they're just movies). It seems that there's still something left in the Indian culture that the Western world has swept under the rug. How often are men here applauded for their tears? Honestly (unless the guy is a complete wuss), I think tears are sexy. They show that we're still human. They show that we feel. I'm beginning to see that, as we spend more and more time away from real life (sitting in front of a screen of any sort is not considered real life), the less we feel real things. Real emotions come from reality, not reality tv shows. We've placed ourselves in the lives of other people rather than living life for ourselves. We are no longer real people.

So here I am. I think I'm real... most of the time anyway. But finding real people to surround myself with is becoming increasingly more difficult. I want to spend my time with people who have real lives, real feelings, real emotions and who aren't afraid to show it. When did it become manly or womanly to bottle everything up inside? Looking around I can't say that it's been good for society as a whole. I'm looking for a man who can learn a few things from these Bollywood hunks. Be a man. Cry a little every once in a while.

6 comments:

  1. I think I understand your point here but using the Indian culture as an example might be a bit misplaced. In many segments of their society, women are treated poorly and abused. Bollywood, like Hollywood, projects a make-believe world. I'm sure you know that.

    Your point is that boys are often raised to suppress their emotions because it's not "manly". Am I right? The result is men who can't express their emotions and therefore keep everything on a surface level. I agree with you. In our quest to seek out a husband who can be that sensitive man without forsaking his masculinity, we find our society sorely lacking. My prayer has always been to ask God to prepare me for the man who will be my husband, and to prepare that man for me. God knows who is best for me better than I do even though I have my mental list of the perfect guy. I don't want to write off a man that doesn't fit my criteria in every way because I just might miss the very qualities that make him exactly right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, my intent her was not to suggest that we adopt Indian culture. I don't believe that any culture is perfect. Though after reading your comment, I began to wonder if it's better to be treated like property (like women often are in Eastern cultures) or like meat (like women often are in Western cultures). What I love about Bollywood is that men can sing and dance and cry and still be considered sexy. If men do that in Hollywood, they're pansies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be a man, cry a little every once in a while. LOVE IT! I've been following your blog from months and I can finally comment! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the Shahid Kapoor in real life also very nice and (real) person. I am his fan. Did you watch other Shahid kapoor movies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved ur blog.I am so happy that u r fortunate 2 hv. selected a Shahid Kapoor movie which transformed u.Do u know actor Shahid Kapoor is very very real in his life also.Hardly has any kind of airs as a filmstar&he enjoys playing real yet entertaining characters.But evry1 is not hving the same kind of opinion like u so he cud not become a grt artist bcoz he has no airs&is very grounded&ordinary.In India ppl like him do not get the love&respect 4 being real.Today audiences embrace&praise actors who r unreal&does extraordinary things&project themselves hi-fi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. shahid is every girl's dream guy...

    ReplyDelete