Thursday, May 13, 2010

The List

I think every girl has written one at some point in her life.  It is "The List".  A complete list of all the things she is looking for in a perfect man.  And that's exactly what this fictional character is: perfection.

I know women who think their mates are The List embodied.  It makes me believe that old saying about love being blind.  Ladies, no husband is everything on your list.  And don't try to convince me that your list had only five items or that your husband does indeed fulfill them all.

I myself even have a List.  I found it last week.  It was good for a laugh and that's about it.  It wasn't dated, so I'm not sure how old it is, but I also found stuck in the same notebook a printed photo of Karl Urban (from my Lord of the Rings days) which would date the book around 2002.  I was 19.  What did I know?  I'd just come out of a relationship with a guy 12 years my senior (who met maybe 2 points on my list - bad idea) and had no idea what I wanted out of life.  Heck, 8 years later, I'm still not entirely sure what I want out of life!

My List has some valid points - must be a Christian, must treat his mom well and some that no longer matter - must be Canadian, must musical (though this would still be nice, it's not neccessary).  While some were mere preferences at the time, so much has changed since it's initial creation.  My list has dwindled over the years.  Either I've become less picky with time or I've realized that all those tiny details aren't the ones that matter.

So, never fear all you men out there!  I'm no longer checking off "yes" or "no" on an infinite list of perfect qualities.  There are more important things in life than fulfilling The List.

No comments:

Post a Comment